WE ARE A TEAM OF LEGAL CONSULTANTS WITH EXPERTISE IN OBTAINING BUILDING PERMITS IN LAGOS STATE
OUR COMMITMENT IS TO HELP YOU GET YOUR BUILDING PERMIT SORTED WITHOUT STRESS
100% REFUND IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED
TO GET STARTED:
Email Us: email@example.com
Call Mobile: 09154338283 (Available MON- FRI 9am-5pm)
Shelter is a basic need all over the world and it is not surprising that Governments typically have in place building controls which govern how people build houses for residential and commercial use. Building control refers to mandatory and routine checks at various phases of building works to certify conformity with building regulations and they are put in place to regulate urban planning as well as to ensure health and safety. Due to the high demand for housing in Lagos State, and the strict building codes in place, obtaining a building permit is an essential procedure that everyone who is building must follow.
This article takes us though the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS) about obtaining a building permit in Lagos State.
FAQ’s ON BUILDING PERMIT IN LAGOS STATE
WHY DO YOU NEED A BUILDING PERMIT?
In order to begin construction or renovation work on your property, whether it be residential or commercial, you or your contractor will need a building permit, which is a legal authority issued by the local governing body.
WHO HAS THE RESPONSIBILITY TO FILE A BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION?
Generally, an application for a building permit may be made by either the developer or the property owner. Because of the sometimes complicated administrative processes a lot of people retain the services of Consultants like Property Plus to help facilitate the building permits.
WHAT BODIES ARE IN CHARGE OF BUILDING PERMITS IN LAGOS?
The primary Ministry in charge of building permits in Lagos State is the Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development which has the overall responsibility of initiation, formulation and implementation of physical planning, urban development and urban renewal policies and programs. It is also the ministry that supervises several agencies involved in building and construction in Lagos State including the Lagos State Physical Planning Permit Authority (LASPPPA) which has responsibility for processing and issuance of all planning permits in the State, as well as monitoring and ensuring compliance with the provisions of the Physical Planning Regulations. The monitoring responsibilities of LASSPPPA is carried out vide another department known as Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) which was set up to ensure that basic minimum standards are maintained in building construction and renovation of existing and new buildings. Another important department is the Office of the Surveyor-General which was formed to record, initiate, formulate, carry out, monitor, and assess policies relating to land matters within a State.
WHAT ARE THE STEP-BY-STEP PROCESS FOR OBTAINING A BUILDING PERMIT?
- Submission of the survey plan.
- Submission of the Architectural drawings.
- Letter by the Engineer in-charge of the building site.
- Payment of the prescribed fees.
Note that you are not permitted to commence your building before your permit is granted because the LASPPA team shall be visiting your site to confirm that work has not been commenced. However, should you default on this rule, you shall be paying your penalty dues. Additionally, if you are to demolish a property, you also need to obtain your building permit.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST ME TO HAVE A BUILDING PERMIT
Please note that cost is dependent on several factors including location, available documentation, size of land, planned development etc. To enable us advise better you will be required to give us more details
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A BUILDING PERMIT IN LAGOS STATE?
The applicant must submit the following Documents:
- A survey Plan of the Land, which shall contain the address of the site, and beacon numbers.
- Five original architectural drawings, which shall be assessed by LASSSPA based on the location, size of the land and other specifications.
- A letter of application by the Engineer in-charge of the site, informing the Lagos state government of his intention to commence construction.
- Material calculation sheet signed by the COREN certified engineer
- Proof that the application’s assessment fees have been paid.
- Original of the electrical and mechanical design’s total (if applicable)
- Certified true copies of title documents (such as an allocation letter, a registered conveyance, a certificate of occupancy, etc.)
- A letter of confirmation or clearance from the Lands Bureau, if the Lands Bureau is processing the title documentation (if applicable)
- A letter of approval from the Land Use Allocation Committee (if applicable)
- A letter from the Lagos State Fire Service confirming fire safety (if applicable)
- A document from the Lagos State Ministry of Transportation approving a metroline corridor (strictly for buildings of commercial purpose)
- Lagos State Ministry of Transportation’s evaluation of traffic impacts (if applicable)
- Letter approving drainage from the Lagos State Ministry of Environment’s Office of Drainage Services (if applicable)
- A replica of the New Towns Development Authority’s letter of affirmation (if applicable)
- Report on soil test this is with reference to sites at the Island Location of the Lagos state, so far it is more than a floor, and the soil test must be conducted.
- Environmental Impact Assessment Report from the Lagos State Ministry of Environment’s Office of Environmental Services (if applicable)
- In the case of new construction or renovations to an existing structure, a letter of structural stability/integrity report properly signed by an engineer registered with COREN is required.
- The Physical Development Intervention Department of the LASPPPA’s Technical Report on Physical Planning (if applicable)
- A letter of clearance from the Nigerian Civil Aviation and Air Force (if applicable)
- A unique sun-print survey Plan.
- A sworn affidavit relating to payment in lieu of receipts or a tenement rate or land use fee receipt
- Pictures from the applicant’s passport (s)
- If the application is a firm, a copy of the tax clearance certificate of two directors or proof of the applicant(s) ‘s most recent personal income tax payment is required.
- Proof that Pay As You Earn (P.A.Y.E) refunds were made or a three years tax clearance of the directors. (where the applicant is a company)
- A replica of the incorporation certificate, where the applicant is a company and the survey plan is bearing the name of the company.
- Payment of a development levy.
- Site picture.
Please be advised that depending on the nature of the project and where it is located, an applicant may be required to get additional clearance letter(s) from particular government Ministries, Departments, or Agencies (MDA).
I DON’T HAVE ALL THE DOCUMENTATION, WHAT DO I DO?
We can help you procure any document you do not have available at a fee.
WHAT IS THE DURATION FOR PROCESSING A BUILDING PERMIT IN LAGOS STATE?
The procedure takes at least sixty (60) days, however LASPPPA reserves the right to extend this time if they find the proposed designs unsuitable. After receiving approval, the developer (i.e., applicant) is required to start and finish the development within the two (2) year approval window, failing which the approval would expire.
I JUST WANT TO RENOVATE, DO I STILL REQURE A PERMIT?
Yes you do require a permit, however in a case of renovation the process does not require a lot of the documents stipulated above especially where the applicant merely wanted to make minor alterations or additions to the building, such as establishing a boys’ room or tiny compartment.
Note that the architectural and structural drawings, a letter of supervision from the registered site engineer that also serves as a letter of indemnity from the engineer, the title document, the survey plan, and the tax clearance are still required in cases of a renovation.
WHY IS MY BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION QUERIED?
Some of the reasons your application may be queried include:
- The nature of the land, that is, if the proposed site is compulsorily acquired by the State Government, the application shall not be approved.
- Constructing a commercial building in a strictly residential, location or vice versa.
WHY IS MY PERMIT REVOKED?
Some of the reasons why a permit can be revoked include:
- When you erect a building different from the submitted plan.
- When you contravene the building regulations etc.
Property Plus has the experience and know-how to help you process your building permit in Lagos State.
Contact Us For A Quote Today
Call Mobile: 09154338283 (Available MON- FRI 9am-5pm)